Thursday, October 13, 2016

GRASS



Let me keep my mind on what matters,

which is my work,

which is mostly standing still and learning to be astonished.

-Mary Oliver


Southeastern Iowa, August 2016

Birders aren't exactly renowned for their impetuous outdoor prowess. The term 'bird-watcher' might conjure images of retirees scooting excitedly from forest to pond in matching Exofficio gear and floppy hats, or just gathering around hummingbird feeders like paparazzi to the tiny feathered celebrities.

However, as an avian field technician, aka professional bird-nerd, I spend more time in uncomfortable situations than most people would choose. For instance, standing statue-still while being marauded by armies of blood-thirsty mosquitoes in order to get a good look at an unidentified bird without scaring it away. Or climbing up and down a razor-back ridge line of scree slopes that seem to be falling out from under my feet faster than I can make any progress, in the hot summer sun, to count and measure plants at 300m intervals. Or hiding in the lee of a shallow crater on the stark Patagonian plateau while 120km sustained winds sandblast my teeth and fill my tent in a thick layer of grit, for hours until the cloudless storm passed.

I don't enjoy any of these things. I love how these situations infuse adventure into my work, but I'm not a masochistic adrenaline junkie or stamina performance artist. In fact, many field biologists value comfort. We gather tools and clothing that can protect our delicate bodies from the elements in order to make endurance a little more bearable. Many wear long pants and sleeves, in all weather, as a shield against cancer-causing sun, biting insects, and scratching brush. Sturdy boots protect supple soles from sharp rocks and thorns while hiking for miles off trail. Sometimes a mosquito head-net is the only thing that keeps us sane enough to concentrate. This summer, I even jumped in the field-gear deep-end and got gaiters – little fabric “skirts” that are worn over boot tops, so rocks and grass seeds don't pour in by the gallon. Seriously, this saved me hours of picking needle-sharp Bromus tectorum from my socks at camp each night.

But sometimes I wonder what I'm missing. Part of the reason I got into this work was to connect myself more deeply to the natural world. Most of the time, however, I still feel like an outside observer, this clumsy, boot-clodding, bino-swinging alien, lugging a giant pack full of everything I need to survive in the wild because I am a human that can't survive in the wild. I can't exist in nature as I am. Or so I am told by my modern upbringing, and outfitters who develop high-tech must-have gear for my every outdoor adventure need.

Unless you are a member of a nudist colony, an “un-contacted” tribe deep in the Amazon, or the Yaghan, original inhabitants of Tierra del Fuego, you probably grew up wearing clothes. In addition to fire, clothing is one of the most important inventions in human history, allowing our ancestors to populate every corner of a planet with highly dynamic climates. It has also been a source of immense creativity, which can be appreciated by the dazzling diversity of fashions throughout history and all over the world.

Today I wandered to the edge of the prairie, stripped off all my clothes, and stepped in. Tall-grass prairies once blanketed much of Iowa, Illinois and Minnesota, before the plow converted it all to corn and soybeans. A few remnants persist in un-mowed ditches, old cemeteries, a handful of nature reserves, and private restoration plots like the one I am lucky enough to be staying by right now.

If you've never seen a tall-grass prairie, in late summer it's almost like Honey I Shrunk the Kids. The Indian grass is starting to bloom and its frilly, lance-shaped flower clusters emerge from their sheaths around eye-level. In a week, it will tower alongside all the Big Blue Stem, which waves its three-pronged tassels a few feet above my head. Wild sunflowers, descendants of early Native American cultivars, reach even higher, their friendly faces bowing over the prairie in a hot breeze. And it's unwelcomingly dense. Every cubic inch between grass stalks is packed with wildflowers – milkweed and coneflower, boneset and ragweed, partridge pea and others. Like climbing through a fully stuffed dress rack at Goodwill and disappearing on the other side, it feels more like swimming than walking in this mirror maze of photosynthesis and wings.

As I pressed carefully into the glowing green curtains, thousands of flying insects buzzed in my ears and around fragrant goldenrod. Butterflies flit and grasshoppers flung themselves out of my path. Tiny flower-flies disguised as bees vacated their positions on stamens to land on my skin and tap their probosces between my freckles. A pair of mating praying mantis swiveled their heads to glare at my interruption. I tiptoed carefully around a wasp as big as my thumb. My toes were surprised to meet patches of cool damp soil and painful blackberry vines winding between the shoots. The soft grass flower-heads tickled as they threaded between my legs.

I continued, glancing back at the herbal curtain shutting firmly behind me, locking me in. I wasn't sure what I was looking for. I hoped a bird would flush from a hidden nest but it's late in the season; only a single Field Sparrow trilled his bouncing ball song in the hazy distance. It wasn't as bad as I expected. The sun was shaded by cottony cumulus and I had yet to meet a mosquito. Slowly, awkwardly, I squatted down into a space the size of a bathroom wastebasket, watching the towering grasses grow even taller, engulfing the space between me and the sky. Ringing of crickets hidden deep in the grass grew louder. The smell of dank earth and roots reaching deep into soil commingled with the scent of my own skin, complimenting it: my animal fragrance.

I laid back, the grass reclining with me until I was looking up at the clouds. Something about it felt strangely familiar, and I realized, I'd been here before, but in a dream. I looked down at my knees jutting up and remembered a vision I created over a decade ago: ink screen-printed on tan paper with rough edges, the image of a supine nude body from first person perspective, surrounded by blonde and auburn grasses, with one nipple occupied by a miniature girl standing there shyly in pink socks. The fantastical image vaguely represented my reluctance to let go of a childhood sense of wonder. Today, I had brought a piece of paper and pencil with me into the prairie, just in case inspiration struck. But I didn't feel like I needed them after this revelation. As if predicting this future moment, I had already painted this scene long ago, the little girl begging me not to forget what I am constantly endeavoring to sustain.

Looking up from the cradle of grass, time warp haze buzzed in my head along with the flies, and a hot sun burst from behind the clouds. Bugs were landing on me and the grass was itching my back. Like that awful, disorienting feeling of waking from a deep nap, I sat up and tried to find reality. The flies were biting now and a I swear a leaping frog hit my spine and disappeared into the green. As if refreshed by the beating sun, humid breath wafted from each trembling blade.

I stood up, it's time to go.

I stumbled back toward open air, where my skin wasn't being licked by a thousand knife-edged leaves. I threw on my clothes and headed back to the house, in a dreamy, satisfied state with tiny yellow grass flowers in my hair and a burning sensation growing stronger on my skin. What I thought was going to be a mini act of defiance against my own cultural habits had served to connect me to myself, in a thread through time, as well as to the sensations of the earth.

After a cold shower, I saw in the mirror that my back looked like it had been attacked by a hundred rabid kittens. There's a reason grass leaves are called blades. The greatest evolutionary feat of grass is its ability to grow back after being eaten. But it would rather avoid being eaten in the first place, and has a few tricks to deter ravenous vegetarians.

If you look at a grass leaf under a microscope, you can see that each edge is serrated like a steak knife, like a row of shingled shark teeth, ready to slice anything that slides along it, such as the vulnerably supple tongue of a herbivore. This doesn't seem to deter the herds that (used to) blanket plains in Africa or the central United States, but if you've ever felt the leathery sandpaper tongue of a cow, you know why. Next time you pick a blade, carefully run your finger down the edge, but don't be surprised if you bleed.

If you look at the surface of the blade, even with the naked eye sometimes, you can see tiny hairs, called trichomes. These hairs help retain moisture in dry or windy conditions by reducing evaporation. Scientists believe they also serve to obstruct the passage of potentially predatory insects, and some trichomes even ooze an irritating substance which causes additional itchiness. Both the serrated edges and the trichomes are made of silica, aka MICROSCOPIC SHARDS OF GLASS.

The silica grinds on all sizes of herbivorous teeth, causing ungulates to evolve extra high crowns and rodents to evolve teeth that never stop growing. It also reduces the digestive abilities of grasshoppers, robbing them of nutrients and carbohydrates. As if that weren't enough, when some grasses are damaged by a herbivore (or your lawn mower), it can trigger the grass to suck up more silica from the soil and incorporate it into the leaf surface, making it even more irritating to potential predators. Or in my case, brashly exposed skin. The First Nations who lived along the Mississippi, growing corn and beans and pumpkins, hunting game and gathering seasonal foods, wore long buckskin leggings to protect their legs from the vegetative and arthropodic onslaught when straying from well-worn paths through wood and field.

Silica and other minerals absorbed by plants, called phytoliths, persist in soil and the geologic record even after the plant has decomposed. Amazingly, highly trained scientists can interpret the structure of phytoliths left in a geologic strata to tell what kinds of plants were present at the time. Some of our major crop species – rice, wheat, corn – are descendents of grass and therefore high in silica. Archeologists can study phytoliths in excavated settlements to help them understand the history of agricultural development, piecing together the story of civilization. Even a few prehistoric human remains have revealed phytolith traces in their teeth, helping archaeologists to understand what plants the ancient people ate. In a way, the very defense mechanisms plants evolved to keep the world at bay now inadvertently serve to connect us, through science, more closely to the past of both humans and nature, to understand the bonds we share.

Evolution is a constant, tinkering push and pull between competing and consuming organisms. Perhaps what's missing from my current “nature connection” philosophy is meeting nature on its own terms, allowing it to bite back sometimes. I don't plan on striding nude through tall-grass prairie again any time soon, but next time I have a picnic, I don't think I'll mind the itchy ankles so much.



Sources:

Environmentalscience.org “Phytoliths: What they are and what they tell us.” http://www.environmentalscience.org/phytoliths

University of Santa Barbara Science Hotline: “Why does human skin itch when it reacts with grass?”

Indiana Public Media A Moment of Science: “Plant Hair”

J. W. Hunt, A. P. Dean, R. E. Webster, G. N. Johnson, and A. R. Ennos
“A Novel Mechanism by which Silica Defends Grasses Against Herbivory” Annals of Botany 2008

MuseumLink Illinois State: “The Illinois”

1 comment:

  1. I have that painting you described and love that I have another way to view it with the prairie scene in mind. Lovely writing Kaitlin. I know it takes a lot of time to put these thoughts on paper (or laptop) and to do it so eloquently.

    ReplyDelete