Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Oh, Hello Again!

Yeah so it looks like I dropped off the planet for a little while. Last post was in.. September! Well, there are some reasonable reasons for this, which I won't get into, BECAUSE there are

MUCH MORE EXCITING THINGS HAPPENING!!!

 A little Kestrel sketch I made before leaving Nevada.

I just finished up a wild field season in Nevada with Great Basin Bird Observatory (I swear I didn't name my blog after theirs), and my love, Bobby is heading back to Brazil for more bird guiding. So what's next for this flighty feather? Well, as you know, I've always tried to do a little writing and drawing while working in the field, it helps me relax and process the knowledge I gain and feel connected to the places I travel. But lately, I've been feeling a stronger and stronger pull in the creative direction. When I left Baltimore almost 5 years ago, I was sort of running away from a creative life that I had cultivated and felt betrayed by. It took some serious soul-searching to realize I cannot run away from this part of myself. Perhaps you know what I mean? Perhaps you have some perspective or activity or side of yourself that, when ignored, you start to feel a little zombie-ish - placid and uninvolved?

Sort of like this red-blood-cell-shaped cloud, no intentions, just floating...

I am excited (and a little nervous) to announce that while Bobby is playing squash with baby tapirs in the Amazon, (ok so I am a little jealous), I will be striking out on my own in pursuit of creative inspiration! I will be traveling throughout the US as summer sizzles into fall, visiting friends and working diligently to create a viable art practice. That's right, I have decided, once and for all, to go out on a limb - not for the bird on the end of it this time, but trying my hand at full-time arting! And now that you all know about it, I have to do it!!! (the classic accountability trick). But really, I am very excited about it, so stay tuned for the next post (I promise it won't be 6 months from now) in which I share with you my plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment